Monday, October 3, 2011

Run Lola Run Presos Critique: Editing

run lola run preso
The area that my group and I explored in Run Lola Run was editing. The editing style that I found Run Lola Run to be based off was a formalistic style. This film was a formalistic movie because it defies most classical editing techniques. One of the first things that makes this a formalistic style is the repeat of the same sequence of time 3 times by Twyker. There is a manipulation of time, because are 3 Acts of the same plot where the characters progress and realize their mistakes as the movie progresses. Formalism is also seen in the use of thematic montage of still frames. The abstract of formalism is also emphasized in the use of animation. One significant use of animation is when an animated character pulls the frame in just before the camera does a 360 around Lola as she thinks of who to ask for money. I also found the abstract to be in the breaking of the fourth wall by Papa shaking his head as Lola runs out of the frame. I also addressed parallel action and split screen. Parallel action and split screen are used in points of high tension, for example when the money bag and the phone are falling after Lola gets shot. I lastly examined cutting and how there were around 1500 cuts in Run Lola Run.

I had some strengths in my presentation. I think one of my strengths was that I was able to not rely heavily on my notes. I was able to expand on my pictures and talk relative to my topic. I think I was also able to provide good facts about the movie, such as the average shot length of 2.7 seconds. I was also to have a somewhat good sense of film language.

I also had some weaknesses in my presentation. I feel that I did not use enough film language. This can be solved by further studying the advanced editing notes. Sometimes I strayed off topic with the breaking of the fourth wall, because it is not really an editing technique. I sometimes also said like and ummm, and I also didn’t always look at the audience when I was talking. I looked too much at the screen and not the audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment